Advaita or Nondualism

I have had a lot of ESP experiences, even though I don't pursue ESP. This blog was a good way for me to write of these experiences. Recently, however, I have become fascinated by Advaita or Nondualism and have been writing about this subject.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Advaita or Nondualism Is Hard

My latest adventure has been studying Advaita or Nondualism. It is not very popular. What got me interested were the books by Tony Parsons, As It Is and The Open Secret. What I believe is peculiar with Tony Parsons is that he never references anyone else. He just speaks about his own experience.

My limited understanding about Advaita or Nondualism is that the concept of individuals is wrong. We are all part of what is called The Self. You can substitute God, Spirit, Buddha Nature, etc., with The Self and you get the picture.

My first exposure to Advaita or Nondualism was through a book I read, The Experience of No-Self, by Bernadette Roberts. It was written in 1982. Roberts was a Catholic nun for ten years. She left the cloister and raised four children in California. During a retreat, Roberts experienced her death and the disappearance of her individuality.

While I enjoyed Roberts book, I wrote it off as somewhat an anomaly. However, as I have written elsewhere, Tony Parsons’ books shook me to the core. It might have been his outrageous statements that what we are experiencing day-to-day is not real. We exist as The Self.

I then got attracted to Ramana Maharshi. Some of the books I was reading kept referring to Ramana. Through a Ramana web site I found a fellow seeker in Michigan. We met for lunch one day, and it was nice finding someone with the same interest. We have e-mailed each other quite a few times.

Another person on a web site got me interested in Advaita and recommended some other authors, including Ramesh Balsekar and Wei Wu Wei.

Finally, I got invited to a local meeting of people who follow Gangaji who was a disciple of Sri Poonjaji who was a disciple of Ramana. Someone also told me about the web casts of Wayne Liquorman (aka RAM TZU), who was a disciple of Ramesh who was also a disciple of Ramana. Those interested in Wayne can go to http://advaita.org/ for more information.

At this time what I believe about Advaita or Nondualism is that it is extremely difficult. It is very difficult to get rid of the ego and attachments. What is also difficult to understand is that enlightenment happens when we are not there. It is experienced by The Self. What I find comforting is that it says that we can wake up at any time. We do not have to meditate for 30 years or practice Zen.

I believe that waking up depends on the willingness of the practitioner to surrender the ego. I believe this is difficult to do without a teacher or Guru. I find the Hindu concepts mentioned by Ramana and others difficult to understand.

Anyhow, I believe there is something to Advaita or Nondualism. I find myself attracted to it but find trying to let the ego go one of the most difficult things to do. Also, I do not know how successful one can be off by oneself trying to experience The Self. Sometimes Grace just happens. Also, they say the teacher appears when the student is ready. Will let you know if a teacher appears.

8 Comments:

  • At January 1, 2006 at 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Bob!

    "I find myself attracted to it but find trying to let the ego go one of the most difficult things to do..."

    trying to let the ego go is unfortunately impossible...the ego cannot let go of itself!

    The ego is just another of they myriads of appearances within AWARENESS!

    See some fantastic non-dual poems on and advaita-art on:

    www.ultrafeel.tv/advaita.htm

    aloha from Switzerland
    fox

     
  • At April 27, 2006 at 1:22 AM, Blogger Antharyami said…

    samadhi means the shunya concept. but advaita is something more than mere shunya. ekam evam advitiyam. relates the unity and totality of Brahman that rejects the samadhi principles. samadhi is a yogic dimension confined only to jivan and not brahman. visit my blog at www.philotika.blogspot.com and place your valuable comments.

    Antharyami

     
  • At May 13, 2006 at 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I enjoyed your blog; you and I are on the same journey.

    Recently in my practice to discern ego from Self I have begun to realize that its not about ridding myself of ego but rather to remember what I really am and stop identifying with it. The ego is harmless when I remember that I share in the One Life. I am Life and neither an ego, nor a body.

    My ego is a dream that I wake from whenever I encounter stillness which is what I really am. I am Energy and Stillness, aware and alert, I can feel my life force and my connection to my Source, my connection to all Life, and I am perfectly comfortable, filled with joy and peace, as I surrender to what I was created to Be. Love.

    I love this stuff! I've read Gangagi's book called, "Diamond in Your Pocket." I highly recommend it. I think I'll make a note of some of the others you suggested as I have made reading a part of my daily practice. Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration. Kim :)

     
  • At May 14, 2006 at 9:28 AM, Blogger Brother Bob said…

    anonymous,

    Thanks for your comments. I haven't done any postings since December because frankly no one has been commenting on my postings. So, your comment gives me hope.

    I have been attending monthly meetings with a group of people who are interested in Gangaji. Basically, we watch a new DVD of Gangaji every month. I am almost through with one of my books, so maybe I will read Gangaji's book next.

    I am fairly new to the non duality concept. I am attracted to writers who speak about the concepts in plain English. Some of the Hindu concepts are difficult.

    I am currently reading a book which I believe is the best I have read for someone beginning on the concept of non duality. It is by Wayne Liquorman, and the title is, "Never Mind." For those further down the road of non duality, this book may be too elementary.

    I am struggling the concept of I am not the Doer or Author of my life. I am baffled by this concept and find it difficult to understand.

    I think that as far as following the teachings of someone like Gangaji or Liquorman, I think it depends on your heart. Either one of these two or someone else may connect better with you. Many are teaching the same concepts.

    Also, while I may understand the concept does not mean I like the concept.

     
  • At May 21, 2006 at 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Bob.

    I have just found your blog and very interesting it is! I will certainly read more.

    You mention doing zen. For me, the sayings of the zen ancients and Sri Ramana and Sri Nisargadatta and the 'Form is Empty, Emptiness is Form' of the Heart Sutra do all converge onto what is ultimately the inexpressible.

    There is, in the end, nothing between them.

    Regards, J.

     
  • At January 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Anonymous gill said…

    Thank you for the tip about Tony Parson's books. I will take a look at them.

    I have been doing this spiritual work for most of my life and at times find myself with direction; and at times without and confused. These days, I am becoming confused, again.

    Ultimately, I think I have to figure it out for myself, but for the moment, I am hoping that I will find a spiritual teacher somewhere who will turn me towards the next step.

    I have been reading works by many of the famous teachers such as Goldsmith, Tolle, Adyashanti, McKenna (I know he's a fictitious character, but his directions are helpful) Gangaji, Gary Renard, and even some Neale Donald Walsch which sometimes has its place, and checking out quantum physics.

    Thank you and Namaste

     
  • At September 14, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Blogger Shastri said…

    the whole thing about this world is it is nothing but an illusion. And as you think that Nondualism is hard is also wrong. if you observe your daily conversations with others you will feel that you are a man with Advaita...

     
  • At February 5, 2015 at 1:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Spend 40 to 60 Minutes/day for 7 weeks and see the results yourself, to learn more sign up here https://finderscourse.iljmp.com/1/khbjy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home